Thursday, January 21, 2010

What A Guy- Acts 16

Some people just go above and beyond the call of duty. There are times in life when someone you are around will go to extraordinary lengths on behalf of someone else. Timothy was definitely one of those guys.
Paul and Silas are visiting some of the churches Paul started, with the purpose of delivering a very important message. They were spreading the news that the Church leaders had decided that was not necessary for the Gentile believers to be circumcised (very good news for them!). They were letting everyone know that they were obligated to show their submission to Christ by the way they live, and were under no compulsion to submit themselves to Jewish law through circumcision. The mark of Christ is a holy life. No other marks necessary.
But here comes Timothy. He’s just a young guy from Lystra that loved Jesus, and was highly regarded by the other believers in his area. Paul likes the kid so much, he asks Timothy to travel with them. Good deal. Good for Timothy. But check out verse 3. Before they leave, Timothy gets circumcised! This isn’t the time or place to discuss how painful that must have been, but Timothy just does it.
I hope you see the irony here. They are going from church to church telling everyone that they don’t need to be circumcised, but Timothy does it just so he doesn’t offend anyone! I am totally in favor of side-stepping offense every chance I get, but I’m not sure I would go that far!! That’s a lot of pain and trouble just so he won’t offend.
What a guy!
Lord, give me a Timothy kind of selflessness. I want to be aware of the potential effect I have on others. I want to be like Timothy (but without the surgery, if possible!)

No comments:

Post a Comment