Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Not My Own- Acts 2

So, there is tons of awesome stuff in Acts 2. I could write about this for days! But my goal in reading through the Word and blogging about it, is to notice stuff I haven't noticed before, if possible. So even though there is tons of great material here, my attention was grabbed by verses 42-47. It says that the church became a single unit instead of individual people.
Now I'm not advocating moving up to the mountains or out into the desert and living commune-style. But look at what happened here. These people were absolutely changed by what God did in them. But it wasn't just a one-time thing, this was continual. They devoted themselves to good teaching (v.42), and as they did, they were overcome by a sense of awe (v.43). Once they had their identity in the presence of God, their identity in this world didn't matter any more.
They didn't belong to themselves. Personal possessions didn't matter. They were not the most important people in their lives anymore. Jesus was the only one that mattered. If them giving something up could help spread the message of Jesus, then it didn't matter to them.
I pray that God can develop that level of selflessness in me. The only things that matter should be the things that spread the message of the Gospel.
Lord, I don't want to belong to myself anymore. I want to be totally yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment