Thursday, January 7, 2010

Illusion?- Acts 4

The other day my older brother told me an incredible story of heroism. He said that in the Denver area, a bus driver left his bus to run across the street and save an elderly lady from an out of control vehicle, sustaining serious injuries in the process. Sounds like a hero, right? That man is a hero!! But after the fact, one of the responding policemen gave the bus driver a ticket for jaywalking!! That's the craziest thing I've ever heard! That is kinda what happened to Peter and John in Acts 4.
These guys had just participated in God doing the miraculous as a lame man was given the gift of self-mobility, and all of the sudden, they are dragged in to face an angry group of religious leaders. They did something good... why all the drama?
The truth is, not everyone is happy when God moves. God rarely does the miraculous inside the little box we've made for Him. We want God to be our house-trained dog, but He is the Lion of Judah. God's move will mess up our religious ideas. It will make us stretch to understand how and why He does what He does.
I remember an older lady that God brought across my path a few years ago. She smoked like a chimney, swore like a sailor, and never attended church! But that woman taught me more about faith than I have ever learned from a book or in a church service. She didn't fit in my God-box. Now I don't think it is healthy for a Christ follower to smoke, swear, and not go to church, but God was trying to get me to look past the surface.
Is it possible that we harshly judge genuine moves of God because they don't fit in our God-box? What is the chance that we are missing the truth as it moves right under our nose? The roots of the Christian church were growing in Peter and John, but the religious leaders missed out. I don't want to make the same mistake.

No comments:

Post a Comment