Thursday, March 18, 2010

A Little Goes a Long Way- John 6

I am a huge cheap-skate. I hate to spend money if I don’t have to. I am constantly walking around my house lecturing the family about wasted heat, and energy. So, being the cheap-o that I am, I love a good deal. I love it when you can buy a lot of something cheap, or when you can get something where a little goes a long way.
In John 6, Jesus sees an enormous crowd coming His way, and asks Phillip where they can get some bread. Phillip answers like he h=thinks Jesus is crazy for even bringing it up!
But then Andrew sees something. Its not much, but it is something. Andrew sees that there is a boy with 5 loaves and 2 fish. There is no possible way to make that little go far enough to feed everyone. So then, why does he even bring it up? Why would Andrew even mention such a little bit of food in the middle of such an enormous need?
I think Andrew understood something fundamental about his Master. Can you think of one time Jesus walked into a situation of abundance and did something logic-defying? I can’t! In fact, every time Jesus did something miraculous, there was a huge need, and nothing to work with. I think Andrew said to himself, “There isn’t much here, but I’m not so sure He needs that much.” (I like this event so much, it makes me want to start going by my full name!)
Jesus doesn’t need much from you. All He really needs is the little you have, and the realization that, for Him, that is more than enough. Don’t be afraid to serve God because you feel like you have nothing to give. Jesus loves nothing! He does His best work with nothing! Jesus has a membership to go and visit the Nothing Hall of Fame, He loves it so much.
You don’t need much. Just give Him what you have, and know that it will be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment