Monday, March 22, 2010

Blinded By Details- John 9

I hate details. I like to think of myself as a big picture person. Sometimes the details can just weigh something down so much that it’s no good anymore. I realize that we need the details in some respect, but I’m convinced that we stress too much about the details.
The Pharisees were definitely detail people. They made sure that they were “perfect” right down to the last detail. And when Jesus healed a blind man on the Sabbath in John 9, they freaked out! They said it was against the Law to heal on the Sabbath (I love Jesus’ response to them when the same thing happened in John 5 :17, “My Father is always working, and so am I.”). Jesus had violated one of their details.
Sometimes as Christians, I think we get way too worried about the details. We start talking doctrine, and before long a fist fight almost breaks out! It seems that sometimes, concentrating on the details too much can be destructive. They can tear down what God is trying to build up.
Let’s look at the big picture. Jesus is the only way to Heaven. He is the Risen Savior of all mankind. In him is hope, life, peace, and love. Let the details worry about themselves. The big picture is that I choose to follow him, no matter what the details are.

No comments:

Post a Comment