Monday, December 28, 2009

Family Matters

Check out Matthew 13:53-58. It talks about Jesus and His family. It actually talks about Jesus not getting along with His family. I'm sure none of us can relate. With Christmas just passed, we all have fresh memories of family dynamics at thier best. It just seems weird that Jesus had a disagreement with His family.
I imagine it went something like this: "I can do miracles" Followed by a, "No you can't," from one of His brothers. "Yes I can!" "No you can't"... We've all been there.
I just had lunch this afternoon with my older brother, Greg. I have always admired my older brother. When we were kids, I always felt like I had to live of to the standards of excellence he had set ahead of me. He is really smart, really athletic, really freindly, and he was always a lot better with girls than I was (although I did luck out and find a blind girl that would marry me!). It was impossible to be better than him.
It must have really stunk to be one of Jesus' younger brothers. Talk about a standard of excellence!! He never lied, never stole, and was never disrespectful. I bet His brothers couldn't even complain because He was "looking at me" because it was the gaze of God Himself!! No wonder His brothers didn't like Him!!
I just think it's encouraging to know that Jesus had family issues to deal with. Now when I read in Hebrews 4:15 that He can sympathize with my weaknesses because He has been tempted in all things, that I can apply that to family too! Don't get me wrong, I had a great time with my brother, and I have been having a great time with my in-laws for the past few days, but I just love knowing that Jesus has dealt with it all!
If He can deal with jealous and disbelieving family members, then He can deal with anything! It just makes me so thankful that Jesus lived a regular life for 30 years. I know He has been through it, and that He can help me through it!! Thank you Jesus for letting us get a sneak peak at your family dynamic!

No comments:

Post a Comment