Thursday, June 24, 2010

Entitled- Luke 17:7-10

"When a servant comes in from plowing or taking care of sheep, does his master say, 'Come in and eat with me'? No, he says, 'Prepare my meal, put on your apron, and serve me while I eat. Then you eat later.' And does the master thank the servant for doing what he was told to do? Of course not. In the same way, when you obey me you should say, 'We are unworthy servants who have simply done our duty.'" Luke 17:7-10 NLT
Sometimes as Christians, we feel entitled. Sometimes as people, we feel entitled. We feel like the world owes us something. We can feel like this because we think that we have been wronged by the world, and they need to make it up to us, or because we feel superior to the world and they need to adore us. Either way, we feel entitled to the praise and recognition of others.
This is even more dangerous when we feel entitled to recognition from God... Have you ever felt like God owed you a "thank you"?... I have. I have had times where I didn't think God really appreciated everything that I was doing for Him. I didn't think He appreciated the time I gave Him, or the talents I gave Him, or the money I gave Him. And I felt wronged. I felt entitled to recognition from God.
My biggest problem is that I wasn't doing those things for Him. Because I was seeking the praise and the acclaim, I was doing those things for me. I wanted recognized by God because I thought I had done somethings special. But this passage in Luke kinda puts things into perspective.
I am a servant. And you are too, if you are a follower of Christ. Servants are supposed to do one thing... serve. That's it. That's all. It's actually pretty simple. Just serve.
And servants don't get parades thrown in their honor. Statues are not made of them. Why? Because they are just doing their job.
As a Christian, serving is our job. Let's do our job. Let's not worry about winning "Employee of the Month". Let's just do our job. Let's serve the Master. Let's serve His servants. Let's serve the world that He loved so desperately and gave His life for. Let's serve.
No parades. No statues. No plaques or special ceremonies. No "thank you" is necessary. Serving the Master is an honor. It is a privilege that we should relish. We get to serve the Most High God!! The Creator of Heaven and Earth. Wow!! What a privilege!
And the best part.... Even though we are servants, He loves us enough to invite us to the table to eat with Him anyway (Luke 22:29-30)!!

No comments:

Post a Comment